Dr Darlene Sweetland and Dr. Ron Stolberg, authors of the book “Teaching Kids to Think”, talk about raising independent and thoughtful confident children in the age of instinct gratification.
What is instant gratification generation?
- Children and teens have things available easily in this technology era.
- Children are missing everyday opportunities like planning, organizing, communicating in everyday problem solving.
- Not understanding the money value.
How can we increase children’s patience in toddlers in this technology era?
- Technology should not become their habit.
- Technology is infused in the society and important to make things fast but then we as a parent need to have a healthy balance.
- Instead of giving screening each time for entertainment, we need to teach them to communicate with each other.
- We need to teach the child its okay to wait at times.
- Anxiety is a state of uncertainty.
- It is a natural & healthy feeling.
- Kids need not feel fear of this uncertainty in everyday life experience.
- Kids need to notice it & come with a plan to figure out the situation which builds confidence in them
- For young kids, parents need to work together with kids and encourage them to think to solve the situation.
- The more experience they have of being uncertain and coming up with a plan to solve it, each time they are building their confidence.
What are the practical strategies for preschool kids to learn how to become independent for themselves in accomplishing tasks?
- Let young kids explore to build confidence.
- Let kids do everyday little things on their own, like deciding what they want to wear or which toy to play.
- Do not do things for them let them try first. It builds a sense of confidence in them.
Problem Solving Development in kids
- Instead of giving kids the solutions to the problems, ask them what choices or options they are thinking to solve the problem.
- Most of the times children come to a solution by themselves but they just take long thinking time than adults so parents need to be more patient.
- It’s okay if they don’t come to the best solution but it gives them a good learning opportunity.
What characteristics are most important to develop in preschool age children to help them a successful students later on?
- Ability to communicate
- Problem solving skills
Importance of Sports in kids
- It’s a fun way to learn the value of practicing for achieving.
- Lots of kids struggle with academics, but excel in sports.
- Parents can give exposure to new things to try, but should not push them into a specific sport. It should be the choice of child whether he wants to play or not.
- Kids get to make new friends and learn how to work in a team or a group.
- They learn the importance of exercising.
Show & tell
- Let kids learn sharing, communicating, by having play dates. Playing with other children help them to learn to share their things, or how to take turns by communicating with each other.
- Let kids earn what they want. It could be a toy or an app on iPad, or anything, just give them a little work to earn that reward. It can be anything like help dad to water the plant or walk a dog etc. This also helps them to learn problem solving or waiting for something, the value of earning things.