Make Books Exciting
* develops language and vocabulary
* builds interest in different topics and concepts
* helps children to learn more about their world
Activities to Prepare Children to Read
* make reading part of everyday
* let children choose books based on their interests (include rhyming books, song books and concept books).
* read with expression and let children talk about books
* Preschool: choose books with more detailed illustrations, sentences and more complex story lines.
* This is the age where it’s super important to choose high interest topics.
* increases excitement to read
* fosters love of learning and reading
* increases attention span for listening
Reading to Engage Children
* Always read with expression
* act out parts, have children chime during a re-reading, choose some interactive books with flaps, movement, rhymes etc…
* Relate story to their life if you can… Do you remember when….?
* Talk about characters, feelings, problem and solutions from the story.
* How do you think (character) feels? How would you feel if that happened to you?
* When finished reading, ask your child what their favorite part was or ask them to tell you the story or tell someone else about the story (retell).
* Read the story again and again if your child asks.
Time to Read
* choose good times to read as part of routines (after breakfast, before nap time, at bedtime etc….)
* reading books is a great one on one activity to bond with your child, snuggle and teach them something.
* let them see you reading too
* always have books available for them to look at